For information

+39 0332 510855/510330
info@caminhotel.com

Camin Hotel on Lake Maggiore: the story

Our Hotel is a late eighteenth-century villa situated in the magnificent setting of the small, sunny bay of Colmegna, nestled by the lake about 2 km from Luino, with an ancient park covering over 2,5 acres (1 ha), a beach, a 200-m lakeside walk, romantic paths, a conservatory, a small harbour, buoys, mooring facilities for motorboats, car parks and two terraces on the lake.

The villa was built in 1700 by an hotelier, Leopoldo Casnedi, as a hunting lodge. With a great passion he also created a magnificent park with exquisite and rare plants which he brought back with him from his numerous trips around the world. The Captain of the Guards of Queen Victoria, Sir Henry Winnie, so fell in love with this place that he bought it.

When he died in 1874, his father Edward returned home and left the property to the Counts Cicogna who, among other things, founded the Nursery School in Colmegna. In 1917, after the death of Countess Giuseppina, the Villa was acquired by Enrico Porta. From 1924 to 1934 there were several changes in ownership. Notable among these were Angelo Palazzi (after whom a part of the main road was named) and the Apostoli family.

From 1934 to 1954 it was the magnificent summer house of Mr. Gelpke, a wealthy Swiss businessman from Basel. In 1959, under the ownership of Mr Steinegger, the Villa became a prestigious hotel managed by Primo Piazza, from Colmegna, with the cooperation of the Swiss Josef Amverg from Altdorf.
The Villa has not undergone great transformations over the centuries, with the exception of the terrace, which has been recently enclosed by a veranda. The tower and the romantic waterfall, also dating from 1700, complete the idyllic ambience of the park.

Since 1971 the estate has been owned by the Luz family, and since 1994 both the hotel and the restaurant have been managed, with great commitment and passion, by their daughter Lara.